quinta-feira, 3 de junho de 2010

REMINISCENCE - chapter 7

"But, as you're okay, maybe I should get going."
Where did you go, Kim?

"I don't want to force you to speak to me."
I don't understand you. What did you mean by that?

"-, Jeff." Someone called me.
"Errr... Come again?"
"We're so glad that you're awake but we have to go home and warn your sister." My mother said.
"You have your clothes here." My father started. "If you need anything else call us. Bye."
"OK, no problem. See ya!"

I'm alone again... I'd like to be here with Kim.
Well, she was really angry at me (for no apparent reason) so I shouldn't count on seeing her anytime soon.
However, there was something else in her eyes when she stormed out... She was hurt. I've already seen her like that.

Thank goodness I stole the janitor's keys.
Wait. That's not good! I got myself in more trouble... Well, I could always hide in this music room for eternity. At least until lunch break...
Oh crap! Someone's coming in! That awful man found me! Maybe he doesn't see me in the darkness.
Err... That's not the ape-face-janitor. It's a girl... If I keep this up I'm gonna have a heart attack. Fortunately she'll turn away and leave.
I still have to be born 1000 times until luck is on my side... Now she's hiding next to the drums... And sobbing.
"Buahhhh!"
And crying. Awww, man.
As it seems we're both hiding, we could talk. "Are you okay?" Ok, I know this is stupid... If she's crying she's not fine. "Errr... I mean... Hi! Who are you? I've never seen you around."
She's shocked to say the least. On the other hand she stopped crying.
"Hello." This was her answer. "My name's Kim. I've just moved here, today is my first day at this school."
"I see. Why were you crying?" I asked. "I mean, school isn't that bad."
She kept silent. I decided to shut up.
The bell rang warning it was lunch time. We didn't move an inch. There was a lot of noise, mainly students running. I took advantage of the loud sound to move around and sit next to her. Next ot her I could admire her features. "Wow, you've got red hair!"
She shifted uncomfortably and seemed even more hurt. Damn.
"It's because of that." She said bluntly.
"What?"
"Because of my hair." She answered. "In my class they started to mock me because of its colour."
I stared at her. "Why?"
"They're always comparing it with blood. The girls are always saying that I probably got a shower of pig's blood just like Carrie and then it dried on my head..." She was crying again. "I never wanted to come here in first place." She started raising her voice. "It's all because of my father! He insisted that we had to move or else we wouldn't be able keep living."
"Why?"
"Because of my mom's death."
I couldn't believe. She's lost her mother and her classmates made her suffer even more. It was so cruel.
"I'm sorry." I said while I hugged her in a attempt to stop her tears. "I didn't want you to recall more pain."
Her sobbing subsided. So I continued. "However, I'm sure that the girls in your class are just envious of you."
She chuckled. "Yeah sure." Sarcasm in her voice. "I can see why..."
"For real! I really like the colour of your hair... It looks like fire. It's such an unusual colour that no one can stop and not look at it. Besides it contrasts with the green of your eyes." This sounded really cheesy and corny but she was getting better. And it was true.
"Well, that still doesn't solve my initial problem."
"Hum... I think I can do something about that!" I said with a smirk.
She stared at me in disbelief.
"You just have to change class... If you want I can go with you in the afternoon and get the papers." I explained. "You can change into my class. We're all nice people to hang out. And I promise that if anyone picks on you, I'll stand up and protect you!" Oh yeah! This sure was a cool way to end it."You never have to be alone."
"Really?" She was smiling now. "Thanks!" I saw her eyes bright with happiness and that was... Woah! I don't know... Amazing? Kind of.
"In return..." I added. "Please, make up a good excuse that I can use for breaking the classroom's window and stealing the janitor's keys..."
She smiled. I knew that she was already thinking in one on her mind. "Don't worry. But first... Can we have something to eat, ..."
"Jeff." I forgot to present myself.
"- Jeff?" She finished her sentence.
"Of course! Let's get going." And we both took of.

"How am I supposed to fulfil my promise if you run away?" I wondered out loud.
I made up my mind. I'm going to sneak out of this bedroom. I only have a broken arm, I can go look for her. She should wait until her father finishes his shift.
After all, how hard can it be?

Nenhum comentário: